MY GUIDE > Special Education Services in Kindergarten

KEYWORDS: age 3 through 5school basedservices and transitions

Get your child tested

If you want your child to be tested for special education services when you enroll him in kindergarten, ask to meet with the principal or a special education administrator at your child’s school. Explain your concerns, and the principal or special education administrator will help you know what to do next. 

ECSE and Kindergarten

If your child is already receiving Early Childhood Special Education (ECSE) services, those services can continue into kindergarten. If your child turns six during his kindergarten year, ECSE services can remain in place until the end of the school year. 

If your child is evaluated and is eligible for special education services, the ARD (Admission, Review and Dismissal) committee will discuss where the services should take place. You, the parent, will be an important member of the ARD committee.


Children who are 5 years old by September 1st are eligible for kindergarten that school year.

If your child has received services outside of the school system, such as private speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, or Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) therapy, consider bringing those records to kindergarten enrollment so that the school can be more prepared to help your child.

If you have concerns about your child, you can request an evaluation at any time, even if you have declined ECSE or other services when your child was younger.